Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC ferris wheel

Thanks everyone for the kind comments - this project was thought out at the beginning to be one that could be easily stored, easily built, and for everyone to try.

So, there are still kinks to work out and new things to try. Sometimes, those new things mess it up (like my main axle - I added two 1/2" connectors thinking it would be easier to dis-assemble - it just messed up the movement I think).

I sort of figured out how to mount the motor (it works but still needs refinement).

So add another 2 each 3/4" tee connectors (one on each side to keep things even). Another 1/2" to 3/4" adapter and a 1/2" 90 degree connector.
    It's about giving, not getting.

And this is what you have been waiting for...

[ame="http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/hunters-moon/Christmas/2010/ferriswheel/?action=view&current=CIMG9065.flv"]http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/hunters-moon/Christmas/2010/ferriswheel/?action=view&current=CIMG9065.flv[/ame]

Note the slow-down and speed up...I think it's something to do with my axle but won't know until I take it back apart. I had thought it was the little character's different size/weight, but I took them all out and still had the issue.
    It could also be different 1/2" PVC used on some of the seat assembly or wheel assembly - some of it isn't sch 40 (which means different weight). It may be as easy as the threaded rods being on the same place inside the connections - moving one 90 degrees from the other may solve this problem (although my wife was happy with the movement after I mentioned it...she said it's like the ride was over and the characters are yelling "more! more!" and so the 'operator' keeps the ride going.

Looks really good in the video!
    That's the first ferris wheel prop I've seen anybody make.
    Great job!

Well, it's definitely not the first one made - but it may be one of the first done with only PVC. I saw others on Planet Christmas that have PVC in them, but most used either wood or metal in the support stand or axle. I don't have the tools or craftsmanship for that.

Update on seat assembly: In an attempt to further bring down cost and weight, I've replaced the double support to a single support. Works just as well.

Instead of a single 1/2" pipe connector, you use 2 to keep the basket in the middle of the wheels. This eliminates one 3/4" Tee and one 1/2" to 3/4" adapter (and the PVC pipe).

And here is a picture of the inside of the main axle where the thread rod is going through to spin the wheel - there is one in each of the 3/4" cross-connectors (one on each wheel). This is where my slow-down/speed-up problem lies since they are not 90 degrees from each other. I don't have the PVC laying around to do another main axle yet so you will have to wait to see if this fixes the issue. Plus, drilling those holes correctly may be a pain and not really get rid of the issue.

It may work to place a washer inside to take up any slack and keep the wheel moving along with the motor - that's another thought I had.
    Last edited by thehoghunter; 02-07-2010 at 10:58 AM.

The vid was awesome great work!
    Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

looks good.

Blog Entries

Great prop Hoghunter!

Have you tried some grease in the axle? From the video you can definitely tell that "something" isn't positioned just right, but at least it is working and not "stopping and breaking"!

Hmm, I wonder if Penguins like ferris wheels?
    Always Thinking

Talking

Well, it seems permanently setting the mount for the motor removed the issue of the slow-down/speed-up. I ran the wheel most of the night (during the superbowl) and didn't notice that it was not slowing down at all. This morning I turned it on and it took about 5 minutes to realize that it was just going and going...

And yes, still more work to do on it (like try the offset on the threaded rods or a washer in on them) but I'm doing a HAPPY DANCE!!!

And yes, as much as I tried to get the wheels straight when I glued them together, they are actually very warped (one more than the other). Hopefully, when I build the next one, I can use a marker on the wheel after putting it together to try to align it all up better when gluing.

Williams, Arizona (who knew it got cold in Arizona?)
    Blog Entries

WOW Hoghunter! (how cool is that!)

I have always wanted to build a ferris wheel for my yard display. THIS looks like a great idea! Nice work too!
    I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

I love coming back to this thread and seeing this again!
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast