Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PVC ferris wheel

Default PVC ferris wheel

Here is the start of a Christmas ferris wheel although I really don't know what a ferris wheel has to do with Christmas. But this was probably one of the easiest things I've built and lots of fun to do. I'm lousy at using wood/metal so PVC is my saving grace.

edit - figured I would show what you end up with...

First - the plan

The 'seats' - baskets were from Target (only a buck each!) Just cut out one side to make the seat for your riders, keep the handle as the seat safety bar so the riders don't get thrown out!

Just cut all your pieces the same size and you should have no problems (well, in theory). I tried to make this so it would be easy to store, so not every piece of PVC is glued.

Assembled (no motor yet)

More pictures will be coming along with some of the secrets to making it! You may wonder why a square wheel - first time it's the easiest thing to do. To make a 'round' wheel - just move the 45 degree connectors out from the Tee's. I'll probably do that on the next wheel I build.
    Last edited by thehoghunter; 11-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    It's about giving, not getting.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

so a picture with words is worth what?

Dude! This is totally awesome! I'm wondering the cost of this?
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Looks really good, hoghunter!
    What kind of motor are you going to use to animate it?

That is great. I kind of like the square frame. At first I wasn't sure but after a min I decided I like it better cuz it's unique, and looks good. Great design, and really cute. Looking forward to seeing it finished and animated. Thanks.

LOL When I first saw it - it reminded me of the early star wars ships. You know, th ekind with the big plate wings and the ball in the center?
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Oh yea! T.I.E. Fighters. (Twin Ion Engine)

And no, I'm not a geek! I built one from a model kit when I was 16.

cost? It's a ferris wheel! Who cares about cost?

Actually, I don't know the cost but I will be buying the same parts for at least 2 more so I will update this when that happens. Here is the parts list for those of you who may want to figure out the cost:

Parts used/bought to build ferris wheel (note - I'm doing this from memory and looking at the pictures posted - do your due diligence!):
    5 each 3/4" PVC sch 40 (there may have been some scrap pieces I used also)
    2 or 3 each (not real sure how many) - 1/2" PVC sch 40

1 each 7/8 inch drill bit
    4 each baskets from Target ($1.00 each)
    1 Deer motor (that answers the motor question - it is actually on right now but in my stupidity I tried to make it easier to dis-assembly and now have to re-do the main axle. Motor isn't mounted yet but is connected to the axle)

Wheels:
    16 each 45 degree 1/2" connectors
    16 each 1/2" Tee connectors
    8 each 1/2" to 3/4" adapters
    2 each 3/4" cross-connectors
    8 each 1/2" to 3/4" adapters

Leg supports
    4 each 45 degree 3/4" adapters
    2 each 3/4" cross connector
    6 each 3/4" Tee connector (there is actually 2 more you can't see in the pics but the only reason they are there are to make the front-to-back support 3/4" pvc long enough [I think I used 3 pieces I had laying around])
    1 each 1/2" end cap (I don't count both seen in the pics since the motor is attached to the other end of the axle now)

Seat assembly:
    (Target baskets noted above)
    8 3/4" tee connector
    8 1/2" to 3/4" adapter
    4 each 1/2" connector (to keep baskets from sliding to one side of axle)
    16 cable ties
    (fyi - further post shows single mounting pole for seats - this will reduce by half the number of 3/4" tee's and 1/2" to 3/4" adapters and increase (times 2x) the number of 1/2" connectors)

The axle is simply a piece of 1/2" sch 40 PVC. well, almost...

Still have to get pictures of the following but they are part of the build:

Piece of wood dowel laying around that fits inside a 1/2" PVC sch 40 pipe
    1 each 1/4" threaded rod (don't recall how long it was but I cut it in half and used both halves)
    4 each 1/4" self-locking nuts

It has been a really great experience building this...therapeutic even. I added the motor, held it with my hand so it would not move around in circles (my hand was the 'mounting hardware'), and it ran the ferris wheel. Not perfectly smooth but nice enough for what this is suppose to be - a build your own Ferris wheel without any real skill and using tools most of us should already have.

Speaking of tools:
    Drill
    1/4" drill bit and a 7/8" drill bit (7/8" is the kind to cut a hole - spade drill bit?)
    7/16" socket & driver
    PVC cutter
    flat and rat-tail file
    hacksaw
    vise to hold threaded rod when cutting
    PVC glue

And OMG, I CAN NOW MAKE MY OWN T.I.E. FIGHTER!!! Now what to use as the ball?

Oh, here is the total of the tee's/connectors/adapters - I think I counted it correctly!

1 each 1/2" end cap
    4 each 1/2" connector
    16 each 45 degree 1/2" connectors
    16 each 1/2" Tee connectors
    24 each 1/2" to 3/4" adapters
    4 each 3/4" cross-connectors
    4 each 45 degree 3/4" adapters
    14 each 3/4" Tee connector
    16 cable ties
    Last edited by thehoghunter; 02-08-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Your Christmas ferris wheel is awesome great job Thehoghunter!
    Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Thanks for giving the construction! I appreciate all the time you took to post this and to build it!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast