Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside a "Reindeer Motor"

Blog Entries

Default Inside a "Reindeer Motor"

After seeing this, and actually video taping it my self, I feel kind of bad leaving the things that I do ON all the time... Poor Reindeer motor! I thought only toys did that noise!

[ame=http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/theedwin/Easter%2009/?action=view&current=Mar292009-VID00017.flv][/ame]

this was the "dead" reindeer motor that used to run the "over achieving chicken".

There was a stripped gear, thus it would not reverse anymore, but I didn't know that there were plastic gears (and several of them) in a reindeer motor! I always thought it was a nice strong motor running my "things".

It was a bitch to take apart, but I figured it out.

OK, here is the other video, but PLEASE turn your volume down as it sounds like I inhale helium for a living... (I have a high squeaky voice that I am not proud of!) (please don't judge me...LOL)

[ame=http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/theedwin/Easter%2009/?action=view&current=Mar292009-VID00016.flv][/ame]

And if you did listen to the video, the security guard was asking me if I could get his girlfriend into a movie for free....

I threw the whole motor away, but not the casing. I wish I could have re-taken the video with me talking in my "RADIO ANNOUNCER" voice.... LOL

E

Great vids, Edwin!

A couple tips with gears that may save a project later on...

Often if a gear is missing teeth, you can rotate the gear 180 deg and reinsert it. If the gear doesn't rotate 360, it is a quick fix.

If a gear slips on the metal axle it is supposed to be attached to, apply gel super glue and it will hold tight again. I had to do this on one of my Elmo mechs.

Still another cheap way is to replace the gear. Ebay has cheap gear packs which can be a project saver. Ie. http://cgi.ebay.com/Engineering-Plas...3%3A3|294%3A50

or you can salvage them from other thrift store toys.

I've done all the above. Just thought I'd share.
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

If nothing else, I like things that move. What type of 'thrift store' motors are there? In other words, from what toys?

Well, it sounds like a wise a$$ answer, but really anything that moves.

Gears and motors are in toys like jumping Tiggers, Elmos, pretty much anything that is self contained with batteries and "talks."

Motors (and some gears) in general are in hobby race cars, massagers, deer motors, electric oscillating fans, and pretty much anything that has a repetitive motion.

Tear apart a moving toy from a thrift store and you begin your learning experience.

Here's the best site I know of hands down for understanding how gears and linkages work: http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/pages/gear.htm

also http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanisms/index.html
    Last edited by Sickie Ickie; 04-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Thanks, Sickie. Just as I figured. Knew about the Flying Pig site. I use wiper motors mostly (like the torque), some reindeer motors also when I can find them free! Did I mention I'm cheep??

LOL Aren't we all? How many of us make a zombie head for what we can scrounge as opposed to buying one for $$$, same as life sized Santas. Sure you can spend $$$ for a resin one, but making it yourself is a) more satisfying and b) CHEAPER!!!!

I was surprised, and pissed, to discover a few years ago that my very expensive Dayton gear motor used plastic gears. Needless to say I stripped them out. I was lucky...it was still under warranty and they replaced it for me. But what I found out was that the company that makes them (Dayton) does not carry replacement gears if they are plastic. Only the metal ones. So that is good info for me to have, if in future I strip them out again, and I will. I am a haunter. Thanks for starting this edwin, and thanks for the info Sickie.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Whisper View Post
    I was surprised, and pissed, to discover a few years ago that my very expensive Dayton gear motor used plastic gears. Needless to say I stripped them out. I was lucky...it was still under warranty and they replaced it for me. But what I found out was that the company that makes them (Dayton) does not carry replacement gears if they are plastic. Only the metal ones. So that is good info for me to have, if in future I strip them out again, and I will. I am a haunter. Thanks for starting this edwin, and thanks for the info Sickie.
    Same thing happened to a Dayton for me. Not going there again. Soon as some snow build up or ice and your SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Whisper View Post
    Same thing happened to a Dayton for me. Not going there again. Soon as some snow build up or ice and your SOL.

double posts are good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast