X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good.

Comment

Great prop Hoghunter!

Have you tried some grease in the axle? From the video you can definitely tell that "something" isn't positioned just right, but at least it is working and not "stopping and breaking"!

Hmm, I wonder if Penguins like ferris wheels?
      World's Best Manager

Comment

Well, it seems permanently setting the mount for the motor removed the issue of the slow-down/speed-up. I ran the wheel most of the night (during the superbowl) and didn't notice that it was not slowing down at all. This morning I turned it on and it took about 5 minutes to realize that it was just going and going...

And yes, still more work to do on it (like try the offset on the threaded rods or a washer in on them) but I'm doing a HAPPY DANCE!!!

And yes, as much as I tried to get the wheels straight when I glued them together, they are actually very warped (one more than the other). Hopefully, when I build the next one, I can use a marker on the wheel after putting it together to try to align it all up better when gluing.
        It's about giving, not getting.

Comment

WOW Hoghunter! (how cool is that!)

I have always wanted to build a ferris wheel for my yard display. THIS looks like a great idea! Nice work too!
          I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

I love coming back to this thread and seeing this again!
            People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Well, I finally got around to messing with this again - had to break it down so my kids/granddaughter didn't see it (going to build the second one for the GrandDaughter). This is the space needed to store it (except for the basket assemblies) - and it took me 20 minutes to put it back together.

Better look at the axle (note, this is a new axle - one piece - also, I cut down a 1/4 Fender washer to put down inside the cross-connection - this may have helped with the slow down/speed up issue I was having).

Putting it together: Put base unit down and mount the two side leg supports

Add the axle, and then the wheels.

[ame]http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/hunters-moon/Christmas/2010/ferriswheel/?action=view&current=FW-2character.flv[/ame]

The next one I build, I need to put together before gluing any of the wheel parts as I need to insure it's straight, then draw lines on the PVC to show how it goes back together, so when I remove one part at a time for gluing, I can get it lined up better so the final wheel will not be 'off'. Then it would be ready for dis-assembly and painting.

Assembled:
              Base:6 feet long - 2 feet 6 inches wide
              Height: 4 feet 3 inches
              Weight: 19 lbs
              Last edited by thehoghunter; 02-22-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again....gorgeous!
                People really act weird at Christmas time. After all, what other time of year do you sit in front of a dead tree in the living room and eat nuts and sweets out of your socks?

Comment

Yes it is great work once again!
                  Now if I could just get one more... right there... what the...

Comment

Still lookin' good!
                    Really nice prop!

Comment

That's great how you were able to take it apart, store it in such a small area, and be able to put it back together so quickly! Great Job Hog!
                      World's Best Manager

Comment

Fan-FREAKING-tastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I SWEAR I plugged those things in before I put them up. They were working......THEN.

Comment

Hey hoghunter, I just came back and looked at this ferris wheel again today.... I am just blown AWAY by the design and how well it breaks down for storage! A BEAUTIFUL piece of work man!

Comment

Oh, my lord this is too cool! Had the how-to for the larger one but this one works with my wallet. LOL
                            Teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.
                            www.christmaskennel.nakedfrog.net

Comment

We have some SERIOUSLY talented people here!

Comment

Ferris wheel re-design:
                                1. Base redesigned for smaller storage area.
                                2. Went with octagon wheels - looks so much better (and made the wife very happy). Getting this wheel straight was SO much easier than I thought (although when gluing it, it still managed to be a bit crooked but nothing like the original square wheel).

Still have to glue the smaller one and then complete the paint. Someone asked about the cost - well, it's more than I thought and may stop some folks from trying - I bought supplies to build 2 more and it was just under $100 per wheel.
                                [ame="http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/hunters-moon/Christmas/2010/ferriswheel/?action=view&current=CIMG0198.flv"]Movie of small and large wheels[/ame]
                                Attached Files

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2218 users online. 34 members and 2184 guests.

Most users ever online was 2,909 at 11:22 AM on 11-28-2016.

Working...
                                X